Monday, July 11, 2016

Zuppa Toscana (sausage potato soup)

Our family loves the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden so I looked for a recipe to make at home. 

I know that Olive Garden uses pancetta but it is so expensive that I use bacon. They also use kale but I find that my family pushes the kale aside and won't eat it so I use fresh spinach.


Zuppa Toscana (sausage potato soup)

1 lb bacon
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced1 lb mild or hot sausage
1 quart chicken broth (or 2 tbsp chicken bouillon + 1 quart water)4 russet potatoes with skins, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/4" slices
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place bacon strips on large cookie sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes until crispy. Cool and crumble. Note: When added to the soup, it softens so it needs to be really crispy.

2. In large stock pan, brown sausage. Remove excess grease. Saute onions and garlic with sausage until translucent. Add crumbled bacon, broth and potato slices. Simmer 15 minutes. Add spinach and cream. Simmer 5 minutes. Serve with grated Parmesano-Reggiano or Romano cheese on top and buttered breadsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment